Premature ejaculation is a form of sexual dysfunction that can adversely affect the quality of a man's sex life. It is when an orgasm or "climax" occurs sooner than wanted. A lot of men have reported to face this problem in the recent times. Problems related to sex are most often connected with the mind rather than the body. Stress, fatigue and lack of confidence result in diminished sexual prowess. However, impotence, premature ejaculation, erectile dysfunction and the like are only temporary if you can identify and remove their cause. Yoga, a well-established system of treatment is known to be helpful in dealing with a variety of physical and psychological problems. The body releases chemicals and hormones in a state of anxiety. When you perform sexual intercourse in this state, the hormones released in the blood play against you to return your body in a state of chemical equilibrium. The result - early ejaculation.
Yoga masters stress the importance of prana or life energy. It is by controlling your breathing that you control the flow of energy inside your body. Mastering certain breathing exercises or pranayama will enable you to get rid of anxiety, control your bodily functions and inhibit the production of chemicals that affect your sexual stamina. The other very effective technique in combating symptoms like premature ejaculation are yogic asanas. They increase blood circulation thereby decreasing tension in the body and improve sexual vigour. Few of the Yoga asanas that one can do to avoid premature ejaculation are :
- Sarvangaasana: This asana helps rejuvenate the entire body. It works on the working of the thyroid glands that regulate the working of almost all bodily functions, right from increasing metabolism to keeping you energetic throughout the day. The most promising effect of this asana is that it helps strengthen the adrenal glands, working of the testis and therefore helps in increasing the potency of sperm and semen.
STEPS TO DO THIS YOGA ASANA
Lie on a yoga mat with your legs extending outwards. Now slowly raise your legs either by first folding them at the knees or by lifting them straight. Place your palms along your back and hips to support it, and raise your body while pointing your toes to the ceiling. All your weight should be on your shoulders. Make sure you breathe slowly and lock your chin into your chest. Your elbows should be touching the floor and your back should be supported. Hold this pose for as long as you are comfortable. To return to the lying position, slowly lower your body. Do not fall back to the lying position.
Tips to keep in mind: Do not do this pose if you suffer from any neck or spinal injuries. If you do have high blood pressure, perform this exercise only under supervision.
- Uttanapadasana: Mainly meant to strengthen the working of your intestines – an organ which according to Ayurvedic principles is the key to maintaining a healthy body — this asana has multiple benefits. It also helps beat constipation, digestion problems and boosts one’s metabolism. Due to all the positive effects it has on the digestive system this asana is also believed to help a man control his rate of ejaculation, helping him beat premature ejaculation.
Steps to do this pose: Lie down comfortably on your yoga mat. Place your hands by your side and your heels together. Now as you inhale life your legs up together to the 30 degree position while lifting your head off the ground. Hold this position for a few seconds and then gently bring your legs back to the floor. Next, inhale again and raise your legs to the 60 degree position. Lower your legs back to the floor after a few seconds. If you find that lifting both your legs together is difficult, try raising one leg at a time. Soon you will be flexible enough to lift both your legs together.
Tip: Do this asana under the supervision of an expert trainer if you suffer from back pain or have a knee injury.
- Kandharasana: This asana is great to increase both a man’s and woman’s sexual desire. Apart from that it helps in strengthening the functioning of a man’s sperms and a woman’s ovaries, helping couples overcome infertility. It also helps resolve menstrual disorders, beat vaginal discharge due to infections and increases lubrication within the vagina.
Steps to do this pose: Lie down flat on your yoga mat. Bend your knees so that your ankles are touching your buttocks. Remember to keep your legs slightly separated. Now grasp your ankles with your hands while still lying down. Inhale and hold your breath, slowly raising your buttocks in the air. Push your chest towards the ceiling. Your back should be arched and off the floor. Hold this position for as long as you are comfortable. To return to your starting position, exhale and come lie back down on the floor.
Tip: If you suffer from high blood pressure, lower back pain or any other spinal disorders do this pose while being supervised by a trained professional.
- Paschimotasana: One of the best asanas to beat premature ejaculation. It also helps to strengthen sperm making semen more potent. Apart from all these benefits this asana helps boost one’s metabolism.
Steps to do this pose: Sit with your legs stretched out on the floor. Next hold the big toe of your feet with your index finger and thumb. Now, exhale and slowly bend forward and try to touch your forehead to your knees. The key is that your elbows should touch the floor. Do not breath in. Stay in this position for five counts and inhale as you rise back to the sitting position.
Tips to keep in mind: If you have any type of back pain or complaints with your spine, do not do this pose. Moreover, be easy on yourself, you might not be able to touch your knees with your forehead. Know that if you keep at it you will regain your flexibility and be able to do the pose properly.
- Goumukhasana: It helps to resolve hernias and hydrosils (fluid build up in the testis) It also helps a man control his ejaculation more effectively. It also helps strengthen the liver, kidneys and respiratory system.
Steps to do this pose: This pose is ideally done while putting all your weight on your knees. But if you suffer from severe arthritis, you can sit in padmasana to do this pose. If you would like to try doing thisasana on your knees, bend them and place them on a yoga mat – such that your upper body is erect and your keens take all your weight. Make sure your toes are pointing downwards and are driving towards the ground. Now take your right hand and bend it at the elbows and place it behind your back. Make sure your finger tips are pointing upwards and are close to your spine. Take your left hand above your head, while bending it at the elbow above your head. Now, while placing it at the nape of your neck, try to grasp your right hand with it. The aim of this asana is for you to be able to hold your hands behind your back.
Breathe normally and get out of this pose by first sitting down and then bringing your hands back to their normal position.
Tip: You might not be able to place your hands together. This is only due to a lack of flexibility and it will improve with time.
- Bhujangasana: An asana that is great to heal back pain and cervical pain, it is also very effective in increasing one’s ability to last longer in bed and resolve any complains of premature ejaculation.
How to do the pose: Lie flat on the floor on your stomach. Place your forehead on the floor and your feet flat on the ground. Make sure your feet and heels are slightly touching each other. Place your hands with your palms facing downwards right next to your shoulders with your elbows as close as possible to your body. Make sure they do not flare out. Now, exhale and lift your upper body one part at a time – first your head, chest, then your back and pelvis. At this point make sure your hands are straight and elbows are locked. Make sure your navel is in contact with the floor and you are placing equal pressure on both hands. Now breathe in and out slowly and try to calm your mind. To get out of the pose, breathe out and gently come back down to the lying position. To sit up again, turn to your side and get up with the help of your palms.
Tips: Do not do this pose if you have a wrist injury, are pregnant or have a back injury.
- Dhanurasana: Known to help in achieving a stronger orgasm this asana is also a great way to beat premature ejaculation. It is also very effective in resolving all stomach related problems.
Steps to do this pose: Lie on your stomach with your feet hip-width apart and your arms by the side of your body. Fold your knees and hold your ankles. Breathing in, lift your chest off the ground and pull your legs up and back. Look straight ahead with a smile on your face. Keep the pose stable while paying attention to your breath. Continue to take long deep breaths as you relax in this pose. But don’t get carried away! Do not overdo the stretch. After 15 -20 seconds, as you exhale, gently bring your legs and chest to the ground. Release the ankles and relax.
Tip: Do not practice this pose if you have high or low blood pressure, hernia, neck injury, pain in the lower back, headache, migraine or a recent abdominal surgery.
- Brahmacharyasana: Great for people who suffer from repeated night fall and lack of sexual excitement, this asana is also very useful in regulating the working of the testis, and digestive system.
Steps to do this pose: Kneel on your yoga mat, with your feet slightly apart. Your keens should be touching each other and your feet should be pointing outwards. Now slowly lower your body into the space between your legs. Your buttocks should be touching the floor. Place your palms facing downwards on your knees and breathe normally. Close your eyes for better concentration. Hold this pose for a few minutes and then return to your normal position by simply reversing the process.
Tip: If you suffer from any knee problems or injuries, avoid doing this asana.
- Garudasana: Relieves disorders related to the testis, prostate gland and helps to beat premature ejaculation. This asana is also great to help relieve the symptoms of diseases of the urinary tract and other reproductive disorders.
Steps to do this pose: Stand in tadasana on your yoga mat. Balance all your weight on your right leg by slightly bending it at the knee. Now lift your left leg and wrap it around the right leg such that your left foot is pressed against your right calf. Now raise your hands in front of you so they are parallel to the floor. Now bend the right hand at the elbow and wrap the left had around it so that both the palms are facing each other. Stay in this position for a few seconds and gently come back to tadasana. This asana takes practice and concentration. You might fall over the first few times but eventually you will be able to hold the pose for longer durations of time.
- Anulom Vilom Pranayama is one of several Pranayama or breathing exercise used in the practice of Hatha yoga.
Stpes to do this pose: Anulom Vilom Pranayama is very easy to do, first of all, close your eyes and sit in Padmasana and rest your hands on your knees.
Close the right nostril with the right thumb. Inhale slowly through the left nostril, inhale the oxygen as much as you can, this will fill your lungs with air. Remove your thumb from your right nostril, as you remove your thumb from right nostril just exhale.
When you exhale use your middle finger to close your left nostril then inhale with our right nostril and remove thumb from the right nostril then exhale. Repeat this process for 5 minutes.
Be focused and concentrate on your breathing.